*ps: the photo might be a bit misleading. actually no crushed candy canes or peppermints involved. just thought it was a nice touch to the picture. :)
yields approx. 3 dozen
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (i put in a heaping 1/4 teaspoon)
2 cups Nestle's Dark Chocolate and Mint Morsels*
a couple handfuls of mini marshmallows
*if these aren't stocked in stores, just use 1 cup dark chocolate/bittersweet/semisweet chips + 1 cup Andes Mint pieces for similar effect. if you don't have access to Andes mints or the like, try just using 2 cups of whatever chocolate chips you do have + 1/8 teaspoon mint extract.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until well-incorporated, about a minute. Beat in vanilla and add eggs, one at a time.
3. In separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until well-combined.
4. Mix dry mixture gradually into wet mixture (it will be thick). Stir in chocolate and mint morsels.
5. Drop by the heaping teaspoon onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Press 3 or so marshmallows onto the top of each unbaked cookie. Bake for 7 minutes (less if your oven tends on the hot side. just make sure not to overbake! take them out when they still seem too doughy. i promise they'll be just right once cool). Let cool on pan for several minutes, then use large spatula to carefully transfer cookies to cool completely on rack.