2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 sweet potato, peeled, cooked, and diced (i was lazy and didn't peel mine this time)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
a few dashes celery seed, optional
sour cream, optional
1. Prep onions, garlic, and potato. To cook sweet potato, peel it, then wrap it with saran wrap and cook in microwave for about 3 minutes. Remove saran and dice potato as big or small as you'd like (it's ok if still a bit firm in the middle). Set aside.
2. Melt butter in medium soup pot on medium heat.
3. Add onions and saute until translucent (around 3 minutes), then add minced garlic and saute for another minute.
3. Add drained beans, diced sweet potato, and broth, stirring all together gently. Bring to boil on high heat.
4. Once boiling, turn heat to low, add cumin, salt, pepper, and celery seed, cover, and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Add more seasonings to your personal taste. When ready to serve, pour into bowls and top with sour cream. Chopped, fresh cilantro would be a great addition, as well.