Friday, March 11, 2011

Lemon Yogurt Cakes



       I'm obsessed with lemons. I love their happy yellow. I love the zing they add to so many dishes, sweet and savory alike. I love that they're available when summer fruits aren't yet in season. This is a recipe I've been waiting to share with you for a while. Sometimes I think it's my favorite cake. And that's quite a statement. I mean, there are a lot of great cakes out there. I just go crazy over the freshness and zest of these guys. They're moist as can be and drenched times two with sweet lemony yum. And, what's more, they're actually not too terrible for you. I was thrilled the other day to discover that you can substitute nonfat yogurt for the whole milk version in the original recipe, and they're still fabulous, if not better! I love it. You seriously gotta try them...

adapted from Ina Garten's recipe
yields one dozen "cupcakes"

ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons-worth)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons-worth)

for the glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour one regular-sized muffin pan.
2. In medium-sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well to combine.
3. In large bowl, slowly whisk together yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.
4. Gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, until all incorporated.
5. Fill muffin-cups 3/4 full with batter and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. They should be barely browned and just bouncy to touch.
6. Meanwhile, heat 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in small pan until sugar is dissolved and mixture is clear. Set aside.
7. When the cakes are done, remove from oven and spoon 1 tablespoon of the warm lemon-sugar mix over each cake. Let soak in and cool for a few minutes, then remove from tins and let cool completely on wire rack.
8. For the glaze, combine sifted powdered sugar and lemon juice and pour over each cooled cake.



1 comment:

  1. Lane, I made these to take to a social, and took some as well to a recent staff meeting at school. After the staff meeting, I overheard some teachers talking about how good the lemon cakes were. They didn't know who had made them. I commented about how I'd gotten the recipe from you, and someone was like, "Oh, YOU made these!? They are so good! Can I have the recipe?!" They were all seriously freaking out. Once again, a success! I gave you all the credit. :) Thanks Lane!

    ReplyDelete