Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries with Horseradish Sauce


 
   One afternoon a couple years ago I snuggled in for a mug of coffee at my favorite coffeeshop/restaurant/place to people-watch in town (Fido. Look it up. And go if you can. It's fun and great in so many ways.) and casually ordered a side of sweet potato fries, as well, to tide me over 'til dinner. I had no idea what was coming to me. I have, since, been officially obsessed with these fries. I drive across town and face the worst parking lot in Nashville (seriously, it's a nightmare) for a plate of them on a regular basis. Not only are the fries to die for, but the horseradish sauce is the perfect side-kick...cool, spicy, tangy...impeccable alongside the warmth and sweetness of the fries. So stinkin' good. Earlier this week I found myself craving them again and decided it was time I made them at home. The potatoes are a cinch, and the sauce a pretty close match to Fido's, I'd say! Really, I'm obsessed. As in, I had these for dinner three nights in a row this week. Yep. So you need to give them a try. A fabulous healthier alternative to your regular potato. I, personally, love these really soft, but for those of you who prefer a crispier fry you can toss them in an additional tablespoon or two of oil before baking. And, for those others of you who aren't particularly fond of horseradish (though i really think you should try this anyway), use just your basic sour cream. Delightful, as well.

                                                                    Sweet Potato Fries
serves one

ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, washed, scrubbed, and dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
a couple pinches kosher salt

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450F. 
2. Cut off very ends of potato. Now cut in half, lengthwise. Now cut each half into 3-4 spears, depending on how thin/thick you'd like your fries to be. 
3. Place fries on baking sheet and toss in olive oil, sprinkling with salt to coat. Line them up on sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, turning them once 10 minutes in. Enjoy!

serves around 8

ingredients:

1 cup sour cream (i used light)
2 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
juice from half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon minced onion (dried is ok, too)
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, plus more, to taste
a couple dashed paprika

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy. Best after refrigerated for 30 minutes. (It's also great atop meats or as a general dip with veggies, chips, what-have-you.)



1 comment:

  1. have you tried these with wasabi sauce? Use your same recipe and just use prepared wasabi sauce (Kroger's Private Selection has a good one). So delish!

    ReplyDelete