Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies



So, I saw a request in the church bulletin last week for several people to bring desserts to tonight's service in honor of the new members. Yessss, I thought. Another opportunity to make something sweet. I quickly sent an email saying I'd be glad to help. Now, what to pick? I initially considered a cupcake of sorts, but that meant waiting for them to cool, then icing, then transporting, none of which sounded super appealing. So, I opted for my go-to chocolate chip cookies---quick, clean, easy for people to grab off a plate, and just simply yummy. Now, I'm well aware of the global debate over the best chocolate chip cookie. I mean, who am I to make such a claim? Well, I offer my defense: This cookie is crispy yet soft, substantial (in that it won't flop when you hold it) yet delightfully doughy. It's perfectly salted and scattered with just enough chocolate to gift you generously with each bite. It's everything one could ask for in a chocolate chip cookie; but, I suppose I'll let you decide for yourself. Tonight I split the dough into two, and made half chocolate chip and Heath bar, half chocolate chip and dark chocolate M&M's. Yum. I went back to grab one a few minutes after they set them on the table tonight, but, alas...gone. I'm tellin' ya, they're that good.



yields 30-40. 
recipe borrowed from David Lebovitz (I think), though I can't seem to recall where I found it.

ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour (This type of flour lends to the cohesive texture of the cookie, though all-purpose works okay, as well.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1 egg (all)
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or part M&M, part chocolate chip. or, whatever combo your heart desires)


directions:
1. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat (or in microwave in appropriate bowl. just heat in 20 second intervals and stir between.)
2. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside.
3. Pour butter into a large mixing bowl and cream both sugars in.
4. Add eggs (both the full one and the single yolk), milk, and vanilla. Mix until well-combined.
5. Slowly add flour mix until incorporated.
6. Add chips and/or whatever you'd like.
7. Chill dough in the fridge for at least an hour.*
8. Preheat oven to 375F.
9. Scoop by very heaping tablespoons onto sheets (preferably lined with parchment for easy clean-up), well-spaced. 
10. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges are just beginning to turn golden. Let cool completely on pan.


*If you don't have time to chill your dough first, you're okay to go ahead and bake them, just know they'll be much flatter cookies and will likely only need 6-7 minutes to bake. The chill time helps them hold shape in the oven, but requires closer to 10 minutes of baking. I highly recommend chilling them to achieve the loftier, fuller cookie. Either way, take them out when the edges are just slightly browned, then let them cool on the pan.







3 comments:

  1. Hey Lane! These look sooo good, and I can't wait to try them! Thanks! I'm wondering if there is a way to print each recipe? I'm also wondering (given my squeamishness) if you could change "draw blood from the meat" to a more appealing phrase...but I DO like the insertion of the helpful information! :) Thanks again for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as the printing goes, i'm working on it. new to this. i'll investigate for you later. i guess for now, copy and paste? and, yes, the unnecessary graphic phrase has been removed. my apologies. what was i thinking!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. these are incredible!!!! many, many compliments!

    ReplyDelete